The residents and staff at the Oak Park Arms are excited to participate in this year’s Celebrating Seniors Week from May 15 – May 22, at the Oak Park Arms retirement community, 408 S. Oak Park Ave.
The month of May is Older Americans Month. As a result, a variety of communities in the Chicago area have proclaimed the week of May 15 – May 22, 2014, as “Celebrating Seniors Week.” The concept was initiated from the Celebrating Seniors Coalition, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the senior community.
Celebrating Seniors Week activities at the Oak Park Arms include:
- Treasure or Trinket: The public is invited to bring up to three personal items for an evaluation by certified appraisers. Experts in jewelry, fine art, textiles, toys, dolls, coins, furniture and more will be on hand to determine what an item is worth from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Thursday, May 15.
- Making Cards Workshop: Ada Willer will host this workshop, using her own materials, to help participants create unique, personalized cards for Mother’s Day which can be kept and taken home at 2 p.m. Thursday, May 15.
- The Upside of Downsizing: Roz Byrne, of RE/MAX InThe Village, will present a simplified, step-by-step process that helps older adults make decisions involved in downsizing and moving at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, May 17.
- Narrow Gallery Art Opening: A wine and cheese reception will take place for a senior group show, including the students of Nancy Fong of the Life Long Learning Center. The exhibition salutes “Old & New Masters” with renderings of the students’ work through various media at 2 p.m. Sunday, May 18.
- Engaging with Ageing: A panel of experts including an aging-in-place specialist, senior residence professional, transition and relocation specialist, an estate/elder law attorney and a health and long-term care insurance specialist will discuss all things aging and answer any questions participants may have at 7p.m. Monday, May 19.
- Monday Night Concert with Howard McClain: Chicago native and Arms resident, Howard McClain, has conducted choirs for more than 50 years and been singing for more than 70 years. He will present a musical performance at 7 p.m. Monday, May 19.
- Genealogy Workshop: Genealogist Daniel J. Kane will help participants begin or continue the process of identifying their family tree from 2 – 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 21.
- “In Celebration of Seniors!” by Reader’s Theatre: Members of the Oak Park Arms Reader’s Theatre group will present readings regarding the aging process and ageism through a combination of literary pieces and original works at 7 p.m. Thursday, May 22.
“We feel so honored to be able to participate in such a wonderful event again this year,” said Heather Lindstrom, director of marketing at the Oak Park Arms. “Our residents not only have a great time attending these events, but they also play an active role in presenting them – and they do such a good job!”
Since its 2010 inception, the Celebrating Seniors Coalition has been dedicated to recognizing, honoring and serving seniors in the Oak Park, River Forest and Forest Park areas. The organization’s three main objectives are:
- to facilitate cooperation between the business community, government agencies and non-profit organizations for the benefit of the senior population,
- to promote senior groups and organizations that serve persons 60 and older, and
- to raise public awareness of issues affecting seniors.
All events are free and open to the public. For more information call 708-386-4040 or visit https://www.oakparkarms.com.
About the Oak Park Arms
The Oak Park Arms is a rental retirement community which provides senior housing in the form of independent living and assisted living apartments. Additional services include short-term stays, a transitional care program, and an adult day care. “The Arms” opened as a luxurious hotel in 1922 and for decades, it was the scene of wedding receptions, proms and ballroom dances. In the mid-1970s, two friends bought the hotel and created an active retirement community that was – and remains – full of life, service and spirit. Today, the same two friends remain involved and committed to excellence, ensuring that The Arms continues as an industry leader with a legacy of eminence and distinction.
Media Contact: Andy Richardson
Ginny Richardson Public Relations
630-789-8899 or email@example.com